Logical Reasoning Test & Knowledge Hub: Essential Tips
Last Updated on January 25, 2023
Logical reasoning tests are arguably the toughest form of aptitude test. Use this guide to learn expert tips and try a few logical reasoning practice test.
3 Useful Starting-Point Resources
- Get hold of our recommended logical reasoning practice tests here.
- Read our other aptitude test success guides here. (Numerical, verbal etc.)
Download our Ultimate Assessment Day & Interview Guide 2022 here. (It's packed with tips, tricks and insider-secrets to help you succeed.)
- Lastly, click here to download our logical reasoning survival kit (with tips, cheatsheet & practice questions).
What Is a Logical Reasoning Test?
This test is a form of psychometric testing that is widely used by corporate employers to help assess candidates during their recruitment process.
‘Psychometric’ is just a fancy way of saying ‘measuring mental ability‘ and logical reasoning tests are designed to measure your non-verbal skills. We’ll cover this in more detail later.
Sounds a little intimidating? Don’t worry, we’re going to tell you how to prepare. We’ve assessed candidates using this technique (and we’ve also faced logical reasoning tests as a candidates), so we’re well aware of the feelings of apprehension you probably have…! Let’s continue.
Logical Reasoning Test: What’s Included?
Logical reasoning tests mostly feature non-verbal content, requiring candidates to interpret and manipulate shapes, numbers and patterns.
Sometimes reasoning tests are given a more specific name to reflect a more targeted skillset. Such as: ‘inductive reasoning‘, ‘diagrammatic reasoning‘ and ‘abstract reasoning‘. The terminology differs between the various tests, but the overall principle is the same.
As with most areas of psychometric testing there’s plenty of overlap in the areas of assessment, but the ultimate goal is the same: to get a well-rounded view of candidates’ mental capacity.
Logical Reasoning Test: Example Questions
Here’s two example questions from a typical logical reasoning test:
Want More Practice Questions?
Logical Reasoning Test – Simple Steps to Success
Ok let’s get into the detail. How do we pass a logical reasoning test?
Logical Reasoning Test – Video Guide
This video guide from Ben Williams will show you what to expect in more detail. Go and grab a cup of tea, a pen and some notepaper and settle down to watch the video – be sure to make some notes, you will be grateful you did!
Logical Reasoning Practice Tests
Nothing will enhance your chances of success during your logical reasoning test more than familiarity with the content, structure and timing of the test. Practise makes perfect.
We always recommend these logical reasoning practice tests because they are supplier-specific and contain very clear explanations.
(Most of the time, the hardest part of the reasoning tests is simply figuring out what variables are even in play. The tests above do a great job of making this clear.)
Stop worrying! Download a 12-step assessment day cheatsheet & be perfectly prepared.
Remember: Logical Reasoning Tests Are Not All Created Equally!
The key to preparing for your logical reasoning test is to practise tests from the correct supplier.
This matters, so don’t feel pushy or demanding for requesting this information, it’s a very reasonable question to pose.
Check Your Prospective Employer’s Site for Guidance
People often go straight to careers sites for advice, but there’s some great tips to be found on employers’ websites too (like this from the PwC website), so make sure you check your prospective employer’s site for any extra guidance and insight.
A Useful Tool With ‘Must-Read’ Advice
More Articles That Will Help You
- Do you have to take a numerical reasoning test or a verbal reasoning test? If so you may want to check out the aptitude tests section of the site.
- You can find practice tests and tons of free advice on every other type of ‘reasoning test’ too: numerical, verbal, abstract, logical, inductive, diagrammatic, spatial, mechanical comprehension, UKCAT and Watson-Glaser tests.
- Worried about your assessment day? Maybe you’re worried about performing a presentation or preparing for an interview or group exercise or in-tray exercise?
- Perhaps you’d like some guidance on how to deal with nerves & anxiety at your interview?
We hope you enjoyed this free guide and wish you the best of luck in your logical reasoning test.
Turbocharge your employability NOW
Get your copy of our Ultimate Assessment Day & Interview Guide here. It's packed with tips, tricks and insider-secrets to help you succeed.
© Copyright AssessmentCentreHQ - All Rights Reserved
Recommended Study Guide:
- Talent Q Assessment Guide with Practice Test
- McQuaig Mental Agility Preparation Guide with Practice Test
- Mettl Exam – How to Prepare?
- Tips on How to Pass Diagrammatic Tests?
- Arctic Shores Assessment – Ultimate Study Guide with Practice Test
- Elenchus Test – Preparation Guide
- Illinois Civil Service Exam – Complete Preparation