How To Prepare for the USA Hire Assessment Test? – A Complete Study Guide
Last Updated on June 30, 2023
If your ambition is to work for the Federal Government, you can expect to do the pre-employment assessments that are now a feature of securing a job with most employers.
Job positions in the government get many applicants, so competition is stiff. Therefore, it is key that you prepare well to make sure you score highly and stand out from other applicants.
Don’t let this test stand in the way of landing your dream role. Find out how to prepare for the USA Hire Assessment.
Table of Contents
What is the USA Hire Assessment Test?
USA Hire uses a battery of three pre-employment assessments, called competency-based assessments, in their recruitment process:
- USA Hire Application
- USA Hire Cognitive Exams
- USA Hire General Exams
These are used to measure candidates’ abilities and suitability for the role.
How do I prepare for the USA Hire Assessments?
Preparing for any exam involves two essential steps.
- Firstly, you need to find out the format and style of questioning in the exam.
- Secondly, you need to practice doing the types of questions you will get in the assessments and practice doing them accurately within the allowed time frame.
For this, we advise using the services of Job Test Prep, a company experienced in helping job applicants prepare for the recruitment process.
From them, you will get accurate information and a test prep pack that will guide you through your preparation for the assessments. In your test prep pack, you will find sample papers modeled on the real assessment papers, comprehensive explanations for questions, and a means of tracking your scores as you work from paper to paper.
What do the US Hire assessments consist of?
USA Hire Assessment Application
Your USA Hire Assessment process begins with your application for a job position.
An occupational assessment questionnaire requires you to give information about your employment history. For each statement on the questionnaire, you choose one answer from five. Your answers will allow the employer to gather information about your work experience.
The accompanying biographical data questionnaire seeks information about your education and work experience. As in the previous questionnaire, you select one of five answers to statements. Your answers will give the employer an indication of how you are likely to perform if working for the Federal Government.
USA Hire Assessment Cognitive Exams
In this section of the assessment, you can expect to be tested on five areas, all related to the occupation you have applied for
1. Math assessment – The occupational math assessment tests your ability in basic math. You will be tested on arithmetic, decimals, probability, and fractions. You will also have to answer word problems. You can use a calculator for this section.
Test your skills with this free numerical test.
2. Judgment assessments – The occupational judgment assessment tests how you would respond to certain workplace situations. You will be presented with a scenario via video and you will be then asked to decide what actions would be the most and the least effective to take if you were a specific person in that scenario.
3. The Interaction Assessment – The occupational interaction assessment is a personality exam that shows how you would behave in certain work situations. Your personality is judged through the behavior you display. When doing this assessment, it is vital to have a clear idea of the type of person likely to be employed in your target job position.
For a free sample Situational Judgment test, go here.
4. Reasoning Assessment – In the occupational reasoning assessment, you are presented with a situation to analyze. You will answer a series of multiple-choice questions based on the given situation. Make sure to assess everything before finalizing your answer.
5. Reading Assessment – The occupational reading assessment checks your reading comprehension skills. Make sure to read carefully the given passage and answer the following questions based on the information provided and not from your prior knowledge.
To assess your skills, try this free Civil Service Sample test here.
USA Hire Assessment General Exams
The assessments you have to take here will depend on the position you have applied for:
1. Job Knowledge Test – You need to take the Job Knowledge Test if you want to work on a job that requires specialized or technical training.
If the job you have applied for involves working for the fire service here is a free sample test.
Or you may be looking for a position in the police force. If so try this free sample test.
2. Job Writing Test – This test will assess your writing skills. So, if you are eyeing a job position that expects you to produce written information daily, then you should do really well in this exam. The writing competence assessment tests your proficiency in basic grammar and sentence structure.
3. Work Simulation – In this test, you need to present yourself at a work simulation center. You will be assessed on how you react to certain workplace scenarios.
4. Accomplishment Record – This section examines your work accomplishments. So, make sure you can explain these successes and show why they are something to be proud of.
5. Structured Interview – During the interview, you have to answer questions based on the expectations of the job position you applied for. Remember that the application process can be tedious, and you will be ranked according to he USA Hire ranking system. Applicants will be rated as Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, and Qualified.
Of course, the most qualified applicant will likely be offered the job position. After all, the purpose of the USA Hire Assessment Test is to help the hiring manager determine the candidate that best exhibit the general competencies required for the job position.
Tips for USA Hire exam preparation
In your preparation for the USA Hire Assessment Test, you need to become familiar with the types of questions asked and teach yourself to answer them in the time given. So, doing practice tests and answering sample questions will increase the likelihood of you getting a high score results.
To ace the assessments and end up as a Federal Government employee, try the following tips:
- Designate a place and a time for your preparation. Following a regular schedule will make your preparation more effective and ensure you get everything covered to get an ideal USA Hire Assessment score.
- Create a timetable that will help you devote sufficient time to each part of the assessment. Ignore the temptation to skip any particular area. If you are avoiding working on something, it generally means you are finding it more difficult and should actually work on it more.
- In your timetable, leave the day before the real assessments free. You will need that for last-minute reviews and to get some rest before the assessments begin.
- Recognize that preparing for tests is stressful for most of us. Build breaks into your preparation routine. Make sure you also get a good night’s sleep regularly and good nutrition.
Doing the USA Hire exams
Approach the exams:
- With enough rest and a clear mind. At this point, how you perform in the assessments will be more important than anything you might learn in late-night cramming.
- Knowing that each assessment brings you one step closer to fulfilling your ambition, get in there and give it all you’ve got!
Related Study Guide – UPS Supervisor Exam
Written by Elizabeth O Mahony
With 25+ years’ experience as a teacher and state examinations corrector, Elizabeth now writes for the education and careers industry. Her experience preparing students for examinations and running an academy for supplementary education gives her invaluable insights into what it takes for job seekers and graduates to succeed in assessments.