Is Computer Software And Pre-packaged Software a Good Career Path : Advantages And Disadvantages Explained
Whether you’re a recent high school or college graduate or you’ve been in the workforce for a while and you’re looking to make a change, the clean tech industry is an option that you might be considering. The computer software pre-packaged software industry is particular intriguing.
This sector has experienced massive growth in recent years, and it doesn’t show any signs of stopping. Ample job opportunities combined with the fact that positions in this industry can be quite lucrative suggest that a career in the computer software and packaging industry can be a promising career endeavor.
Not only is this division of the computer software industry profitable, but it also provides a varying array of benefits and prospects. It’s no wonder why it’s been receiving a lot of attention. If you’re considering a career in this field, before you proceed, it’s important to gather as much information as possible.
Below, we’ll shed some light on the computer software and packaging software industry so that you can make an informed decision and determine if proceeding in this direction is the right choice for you and your future.
Table of Contents
About The Computer Software and Pre-packaged Software
Software and pre-packaged software for computers is a broad term that encompasses the applications, systems (both open- and closed-source), and an array of other types of software in various technologies, ranging from rudimentary Bluetooth speakers to cutting-edge color-changing vehicles.
Software describes a collection of directions that tells computers what they are supposed to do. It encompasses the fundamental components of a computer system, including the programs, procedures, and even routines.
The term software was developed as a way to distinguish the instructions that these programs supply from computer hardware or a computer system’s physical components.
The software packages are meant for an extensive amount of users. While users can hone the software by selecting their preferences, the programs are not (nor intended to be) as individualized as software that is specifically designed to be customized.
What Do Computer Software Developers Do?
If you’re thinking about becoming a computer software or pre-packaged software developer, it’s important to have an understanding of what it is that a career in this field will entail. As a software engineer, your job will involve creating software that powers computers from start to finish.
Your job will include a variety of tasks, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Assessing existing issues and seeking potential solutions that would resolve said issues
- Developing specific software ideas
- Designing and creating software
- Testing newly developed software
- Integrating software applications
To summarize, as a computer software and pre-packaged software developer, you will wear many hats and be responsible for devising, creating, and integrating solutions that will enhance computer applications. It’s a fast-paced, ever-changing field that has the potential to be stressful but very rewarding.
Computer Software Pre-packaged Software Industry Career Outlook
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the field of software development is projected to experience massive growth. Between 2020 and 2030, the BLS predicts that the employment of software developers will increase by 22.2 percent, and nearly 410,000 new job openings are expected to occur in the software industry during this decade.
In other words, the computer software and pre-packaged software industry are booming.
How To Become a Computer Software Engineer
Most jobs in the field of software development require a degree in technology and a science-related discipline. Just having a degree usually isn’t enough, however.
In order to persuade employers who are seeking to fill software developer positions that you are the right person for the job, you will also need to show that you have some kind of hands-on experience in the field, as well.
If attending college in the traditional sense isn’t an option for you, acquiring a degree and/or certificate from an online institution, combined with a lot of practice, may be an acceptable substitute.
When it comes to software development, there is a steep learning curve. If you are serious about acquiring a job in this field, expect to devote a lot of time to studying so that you can advance your knowledge and practice so that you can hone your skills.
Advantages Of a Career In Computer Software and Pre-packaged Software
There are several notable benefits of securing a career in the computer software and pre-packaged software industry. Some of the most notable advantages include the following:
- Many opportunities. As mentioned above, the BLS predicts this sector will grow by 22.2 percent between 2020 and 2030. Technology specialists, automation test analysts, and development team leads are just some of the jobs in this sector that are in high demand.
- Growth potential. Technology is always evolving, which means that the opportunities for growth as a software engineer are endless. You can advance your career by obtaining additional certifications in new areas of interest.
- Flexibility. Opportunities to work as a computer software developer are available around the world. Due to the rapid growth that this industry is experiencing, employers and hiring managers seek talent from all corners. This gives you the flexibility to seek and obtain employment in various geographic locations.
- Remote opportunities. Software developers often work remotely, and since the covid crisis of 2020, there has been a significant increase in remote jobs in this field – and it looks like remote opportunities are here to stay, as more and more employers are seeking software developers who can work remotely. In fact, the Future Workforce Report indicated that there would be a marked uptick in the number of remote workers in this field over the next five years.
- High earning potential. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that jobs that are related to the development of computer software are among the top 20 best-paying jobs, with an average income of $151,150 per year. Given the projected demand for professionals in this field, it’s safe to assume that the earnings potential will further increase moving forward.
- Job security. In addition to being in high demand in the current job market, computer software, and pre-packaged software developers are expected to continue being in high demand for the foreseeable future. In fact, professionals in this sector are predicted to be among the top five most in-demand workers over the next 10 years. Additionally, the BLS has indicated that jobs in the software engineering sector rank 4th in the 20 positions that have the highest projected increase, with nearly 500,000 new job openings in the next decade.
- Fulfillment. It has been reported that software engineers are very passionate about and devoted to the work that they do. They enjoy their work and are always up for taking on new challenges and learning new things. Additionally, software engineers are paid handsomely, even those who fill entry-level positions, and there are ample opportunities to work remotely. All of these factors combined mean that working as a computer software or pre-packaged software developer can be a very rewarding and fulfilling career.
The above are just some of the benefits of a career in the computer software and pre-packaged software engineering industry. With so many advantages, it’s easy to see why so many professionals are seeking and obtaining careers in this sector.
Top Paying Jobs In The Computer Software and Pre-packaged Software Industry
The computer software and pre-packaged software industry are vast, and there are several positions that fall under this category. While all positions in this field can pay rather well, some positions do have a tendency to pay better than others.
If earnings potential is a top priority for you when considering different career prospects, the following are some of the best-paying jobs in the field of computer software and pre-packaged software development.
- Chief Technology Officers – $219.437 per year
- Software Architect – $130,273 per year
- Site Reliability Engineer – $124,858
- System Engineer – $121,892 per year
- Software Engineer – $121,301 per year
- Cloud Engineer – $121,301 per year
- Software Developer – $110,140 per year
- Full-Stack Developer – $101, 322 per year
- Data Scientist – $100,560 per year
- IT Security Specialist – $69,123 to $76,336 per year
Top Computer Software Pre-packaged Software Companies
The list of companies that employ professionals in the computer software pre-packaged software industry is vast – and the list continues to grow on a regular basis. That said, there are some noteworthy companies that offer employment opportunities in this sector, and the following are some of the most notable.
- Microsoft Corporation
- INTUIT IT
- Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Autodesk, Inc.
- Activision Blizzard, Inc.
These companies offer great opportunities for career growth, opportunities to work remotely, benefits packages, job security, and they pay well, among other benefits. This is why they are considered the best software companies that employ professionals in the computer software pre-packaged software sector.
What Is The Best Career Choice In Computer Software Pre-packaged Software?
As we have discussed, there are a wide variety of job opportunities in the computer software pre-packaged software industry. As can be seen from the above list, these positions can pay quite well.
On top of the high earnings potential, a career in this field can be very gratifying. With that said, however, you might be wondering which career, in particular, would be considered the best option in this field.
The truth is that determining which career would be classified as the “best” in the computer software pre-packaged software development industry is difficult, as it really depends on your particular interests and needs.
If you are having a hard time deciding which career path you should take, we strongly recommend doing your research to learn more about the different job opportunities that are available in this field to determine which one will pique your interests and will satisfy your needs.
1. Which Software Development Field Has The Most Promising Future?
While all aspects of software development will continue to thrive moving forward, software engineers, video game designers, database administrators, computer system analysts, and data scientists will be largely in demand in the future.
2. What Courses Are The Best To Take?
A degree is required for most computer software and pre-packaged software careers, and the following courses of study are highly recommended:
- Web design
- Cyber security
- Programming language
3. Is There a Demand For Computer Software Developers?
Yes, the demand for software developers is high. According to the BLS, this field will experience rapid growth between 2020 and 2030, and an estimated half-million new jobs will need to be filled.
A career in computer software pre-packaged software can be highly rewarding. Professionals in this sector are in high demand, and the field will continue to experience rapid growth.
Moreover, there are a variety of job opportunities, and the earnings potential is high. In summary, working in a career in computer software pre-packaged software would be a good career.
Sarah is an accomplished educator, researcher and author in the field of testing and assessment. She has worked with various educational institutions and organisations to develop innovative evaluation methods and enhance student learning. Sarah has published numerous articles and books on assessment and learning. Her passion for promoting equity and fairness in the education system fuels her commitment to sharing insights and best practices with educators and policymakers around the world.