Online Preparation for 3M Assessment Tests – A Definitive Study & Interview Guide
3M is a manufacturing company that creates products for the worker safety, healthcare, and consumer goods industries. Examples of their products are adhesives, personal protective equipment, electronic circuits, and more. They offer many different positions in a range of fields. To work for them, you must pass an assessment test.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the ways you can prepare online for the 3M assessment test.
Table of Contents
What is the 3M assessment test?
As part of the hiring process at 3M, potential applicants are required to take an assessment. The tests that you take are based on the position you apply for; however, there are some general tests that a majority of candidates take and some of the skills that they look at:
- Numerical reasoning test – ability to solve math problems using basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and subtraction
- Verbal reasoning test – strong grammar and sentence structure skills, along with being able to complete reading comprehension questions and more advanced concepts
- Mechanical Aptitude test – understanding technical and mechanical concepts that will be used on the job.
- Situational Judgment test – knowing how to apply logic to different scenarios and answer questions about your reaction
Next, let’s go through some ways that you can pass the 3M assessment test.
How can I pass the 3M assessment test?
When you’re taking an assessment test for a potential job, it’s essential to not only pass but excel. You want to stand out as much as possible from other candidates so that your application gets picked first.
One of the best ways to prepare for the 3M test is to utilize online resources. Job Test Prep offers a PrepPack designed to prepare you as best as possible. Here’s what’s included:
- 1 Diagnostic Test & Study Guide
- 15 Logical Reasoning Tests
- 7 Basic Math Tests
- 6 Mathematical Word Problem Tests
- 13 Tables and Graphs Tests
- 15 Mechanical Reasoning Tests
- 1 Full Personality Profiling Practice
- 1 DSI Test
- 2 Following Rules Test
- 5 Additional Study Guides
The first test included is a diagnostic test that encompasses all the basic concepts that are on most of the assessment tests that candidates are required to take. It is structured similarly to the actual exam, so you will become familiar with how the questions are arranged and worded.
It also comes with a study guide that explains all the concepts included in the test. This comes in handy on questions you aren’t sure how to answer or if you are entirely unfamiliar with a topic. Be sure to read it thoroughly and make notes on anything you feel you need to study more.
The additional tests in the PrepPack focus on more specific subjects for a more tailored studying experience. If there is an area that you struggle with, you should focus on those first rather than subjects that come more easily to you.
Use the results from the practice diagnostic test to help guide your choice of what to study next. The subtests are there to help you learn how to apply concepts that will most likely be used daily for your job.
In addition to the 3M PrepPack and all that it includes, Job Test Prep has hundreds of more PrepPacks that you can utilize to improve your skills. If you don’t see what you need in this pack, there are plenty more that you can choose from.
Tips for studying online for the 3M assessment
Some tips for studying online are:
- Get a pair of blue-light glasses to prevent your eyes from becoming fatigued from long hours on the computer.
Take regular breaks.
- Ensure that you are retaining information by utilizing any sample questions that are available in the PrepPack.
- They are an excellent way to track your progress.
- Try to limit distractions in your studying environments such as cell phones, social media, or loud noises.
- Keep track of time while you’re studying. Don’t focus for too long on one subject. Try to plan how long you can spend on each question without running too close on time.
- Familiarize yourself with the directions and format of the test.
- Resolve out any technical issues
What are the other parts of the interview process?
Once you have completed the online assessments, the rest of the interview process will begin. After the hiring team at 3M decides who has scored satisfactorily on their test, they will start to reach out to people for a phone interview. If this goes well, it will progress into an in-person interview.
During the in-person interview, you will more than likely be asked to participate in discussions about your relevant experience, why you wanted to apply for the position at 3M, and why you would be a good fit for the job.
In the additional assessments during the interview process, there are group exercises where you have to work together to demonstrate your team-building skills and solve a case study. Although these are a bit more challenging to practice, showing that you can work well with other people and solve problems involving scenarios that you would encounter on the job.
Preparing for these final stages of the hiring process is equally as crucial as the pre-employment assessments. Job Test Prep also offers PrepPacks that help you prepare for the interview process. The Pack includes tips for making a good conversation, efficiently answering questions, structuring your response to difficult questions, and more.
The 3M pre-employment assessment tests are not easy. Online preparation is the key to succeeding on them. This can help you stand out from the rest of the applicants — especially when you’re using materials from Job Test Prep. We wish you the best of luck on your test!
Related Study Guide –
Written by Bailee Boggess McCoy
Bailee, MSW, is a freelance writer and editor. She specializes in career, social work, tech, B2B, marketing, and medical, health, and wellness content. She has experience as a job coach, DEI consultant for companies, community-project manager, and clinical researcher.
She received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Georgetown College in 2018, and studied neurolinguistics and developmental psychology at the University of Oxford. She earned her Master’s in Social Work at the University of Kentucky in 2021. Her scientific research has been presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference and published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Associated Disorders.
Sarah is an accomplished educator, researcher and author in the field of testing and assessment. She has worked with various educational institutions and organisations to develop innovative evaluation methods and enhance student learning. Sarah has published numerous articles and books on assessment and learning. Her passion for promoting equity and fairness in the education system fuels her commitment to sharing insights and best practices with educators and policymakers around the world.